Government Answers Audit on Slow Use of Hurricane Donation Funds

Officials are pushing back against criticism that hurricane recovery money has moved too slowly, after a recent audit showed that only a fraction of donated funds has left the books so far.
Government Senator Marlon Morgan addressed the findings in public comments. The review, he said, recorded J$1.44 billion in donations for storm recovery, with just J$26 million, or about 1.8 per cent, spent to date.
Morgan stressed that the Office of Disaster Preparedness and Emergency Management (ODPEM) had to complete several steps before disbursing cash, so spending could be tracked and defended in full.
He also outlined where portions of the money are going. Morgan said J$240 million has gone toward the Government of Jamaica’s directed roof repair programme, J$600 million toward building bases for modular housing for people who lost their homes, and a further J$560 million set aside for other recovery work.
Syndicated from CVM TV · originally published .
Legal context · powered by Jurifi
Get the legal angle on this story. Pick a prompt and Jurifi's AI will explain it using Jamaican law.
AI replies are based on Jamaican law via Jurifi. Not legal advice.
Other coverage

‘A wicked act’, says Brown Burke after AG flags slow use of hurricane funds
Jamaica Observer
Six Months & Counting: Opposition Urges Gov't to Spend Relief Funds Now | TVJ News
Television Jamaica (Video)Watch
CVM News At Noon: May 18, 2026 | @CVMTVNews
CVM TV News (Video)Watch
Senator Morgan notes that real-time audit reveals over $11 billion being expended in Hurricane relief
Our Today
Jamaica Slow To Spend Hurricane Relief Funds | TVJ Smile Jamaica
Television Jamaica (Video)Watch