Skip to main content
Jamaica Observer

Downswell backs Jamaica Under-17s after World Cup draw with Italy, Ivory Coast and Uzbekistan

Downswell backs Jamaica Under-17s after World Cup draw with Italy, Ivory Coast and Uzbekistan

Wendell Downswell, technical director of Jamaica's Under-17 football programme, says he is encouraged by the young Reggae Boyz's placement in Group E for the 2026 FIFA World Cup, scheduled for Qatar in November.

Jamaica will meet Italy, Ivory Coast and Uzbekistan in the group, and Downswell believes the national team has a fair opportunity to get beyond the opening round.

Downswell, who guided Jamaica's most recent Under-17 side at the World Cup in 2011, said the latest assignment comes with the benefit of added experience for him and his staff.

He made his comments after the draw for the 48-nation tournament took place in Zurich, Switzerland, on Thursday.

Downswell said the competition gives the players a major chance to display their ability against international opponents. He also said participation in another Under-17 World Cup matters greatly for Jamaica and for the country's standing within the region.

The coach told the Jamaica Observer he was comfortable with the section Jamaica had been placed in and felt the team had a strong enough opening to move out of the group.

With the opponents now known, Downswell said attention must turn sharply to the team's build-up. He noted that some planning and preparatory work had already started, but said the programme now has to refine those arrangements, including the logistics required before travelling to the tournament.

Jamaica's 2011 Under-17 World Cup campaign in Mexico ended without a victory. The team lost 1-0 to Japan, were beaten 2-1 by Argentina, and drew 1-1 with France.

That squad was led by captain Omar Holness and included Zhelano Barnes, who scored against Argentina, and Andre Lewis, who found the net against France. Alvas Powell, Jason Wright and Romario Williams were also part of the group.

As preparations increase, Downswell said he wants to see corporate Jamaica and overseas supporters assist the programme financially. He said that support would help ensure the best available talent can represent the country properly.

Recruitment, he added, will be a key part of the work ahead. Downswell said the staff will examine players based in Jamaica as well as those overseas before choosing the strongest possible squad.

He said the tournament represents a major opening for both the young players and the coaching staff.

Syndicated from Jamaica Observer · originally published .

13 languages available

Other coverage