Skip to main content
Realnews Yt

Negril businessman killed, Czech doctor injured in Jamaica weekend crime and court roundup

St. James
Skip to transcript

A businessman from Negril was killed and a Czech medical doctor visiting Jamaica was wounded Friday night during an armed robbery on Norman Manley Boulevard in Westmoreland, police reported.

The dead man was named as 36-year-old Nashan Mak Gibband, also called “the Booa”, a business operator from Tiger Saline in West End, Negril. Investigators said he was on a beach area near his Flag City restaurant about 8:40 p.m. with three workers when two men arrived by motorcycle, approached with their heads covered, drew handguns and fired. Gibband ran, but was pursued into an open field, where he collapsed. The attackers reportedly took two bags with cash and escaped on the motorcycle. The Czech doctor, who had just been served at the establishment, was shot in the left shoulder and admitted to hospital in serious but stable condition. Gibband was pronounced dead at Savanna-la-Mar Public General Hospital. No arrest has been reported.

In Hanover, relatives continued searching for 78-year-old Winson Watson, who disappeared from his home in the Lethal district last Tuesday about 4 p.m. His son, Winston, a Jamaica Constabulary Force member, said Watson has dementia but is otherwise healthy and may have walked far. He was last seen in a black T-shirt, black shorts and black-and-white Crocs.

The JCF is also mourning Detective Sergeant Brenton Armstrong, who died Thursday night at a Corporate Area hospital after complications reportedly developed following a medical procedure. Armstrong previously served at the St Ann’s Bay Police Station and most recently in Police Area 2. Half-Way Tree police are investigating.

In St Mary, 10 people were hurt in two Friday crashes: three, including two children, near the Rubis gas station on the Rio Nuevo main road about midday, and seven others when a vehicle from Dover crashed into an empty shop near Marking Stone Beach in Annotto Bay about 8 p.m.

In St James, carpenter Jordan Ricketts, 30, was charged with fraudulent conversion after allegedly using US$10,000 entrusted by relatives for personal expenses and a one-bedroom house. Separately, the St James Parish Court extended Mario Clark’s bail in a $3 million Toyota Voxy fraud case, with the matter due again June 17. Another St James court matter involving a missing wallet, alleged stolen cash and a neighbour accused of simple larceny was set for case management on June 10.

Syndicated from Realnews Yt · originally published .

13 languages available

Other coverage

Around St. James

· powered by OFMOP