Skip to main content
Jamaica GleanerSports

Montego Bay Sports Complex restoration efforts get $20M boost

St. James
Montego Bay Sports Complex restoration efforts get $20M boost
The St James Municipal Corporation has announced it has allocated $20 million from an interim insurance payment towards restoration of the Montego Bay Sports Complex so that football can return to the facility for the upcoming Jamaica Premier League season in August.
 
The facility was among several which were seriously impacted by Hurricane Melissa.

The announcement of the funding for the repairs was made Wednesday morning by Richard Vernon, Mayor of Montego Bay, at the Montego Bay Sports Complex Development Plan unveiling at the facility.
 
“We have several assets that are insured, and when Hurricane Melissa hit, of course, it activated the process. We got the interim payment from the insurance company, and from that interim payment, we'll be making $20 million available to restoration work at the Montego Bay Sports Complex,” said Vernon.

“It will follow the additional processes, such as procurement and support, but it is obligated to the facility, and we're ensuring that even though it is under a lease agreement, such obligation is fulfilled, so that we can restore the Montego Bay Sports Complex and move ahead with the development that is being slated,” added Vernon.
 
Meanwhile, Yoni Epstein, chairman of Montego Bay United (MBU), which had been using the facility prior to Melissa, expressed gratitude for the interim payment and highlighted the importance of the facility as a national asset.

“I'm elated. They have been a partner from day one. You know what happened in Hurricane Melissa? No one could have planned for, I know that it's an interim payment that they've gotten, and there's definitely others, other stuff to come to help, you know, get the stadium back to what it was, and what we should have taken over pre-Melissa,” said Epstein.

“I also believe that this project is something that the Sports Development Foundation, the Tourism Enhancement Fund, and other parts of government should look at investing in, because it is a national asset.

"Yes, we are a private entity here investing money and building to make a return on our investment, but this is a national asset that is only going to make Jamaica more powerful on the international stage," added Epstein.
 
MBU temporarily returned to Jarrett Park as its official home following the hurricane.

In February, St James Municipal Corporation and Montego Bay Multi-Sports Development Limited signed a 25-year lease agreement for the development of the Montego Bay Sports Complex.

Follow The Gleaner on X and Instagram @JamaicaGleaner and on Facebook @GleanerJamaica. Send us a message on WhatsApp at 1-876-499-0169 or email us at [email protected] or [email protected].

Syndicated from Jamaica Gleaner · originally published .

13 languages available

Other coverage

Around St. James

· powered by OFMOP